Sunday, April 22, 2007

Google Summer of Code

So..., I'm enlisted as one of Google Summer of Code participant this year. I hope this gonna be an awesome experience. My proposal is about porting Linux BIOS's flashrom utility to Windows. You can check it out here. In the meantime I'm working on my first real-world multithreaded software. Stay tuned ;-)

The source code for the software that I've worked on is available for download at:
http://google-summer-of-code-2007-coresystems.googlecode.com/files/DarmawanMappatutu_Salihun.tar.gz
Post a Comment

3 comments:

Darmawan Salihun said...

The GSoC event finally made me involved in the LinuxBIOS project. I really like the people there. Every now and then I learn a lot of new things from them. Looking forward to contribute more in the future ;-). Even when GSoC is over I'll contribute to the project. I have VIA693A mobo laying around at home. I'm gonna hack it and put LinuxBIOS in it when GSoC is over :)

Mulyadi Santosa said...

Hi Darmawan

First of all, congratulations for your participation in GSoC. Even though I know almost nothing about LinuxBIOS, it's a pleasure to see somebody from Indonesia getting involved in such tough project.

Regarding your book, this is my prime attention. For me, it's a long waiting time before I finally see another Indonesian follow my foot steps and enter international publication. I don't know if you ever heard my name, but that's not important right now. I hope that won't be your last writing, but the beginning of another great book.

Now, related to distcc. Perhaps it is nice to combine it with ccache because most of the time not every object files should be recompiled. ccache, as you probably know, can speed things up in that aspect.

Plus, combine that with clustering software such as MOSIX and you'll get extra auto load balancer. As long as distcc does CPU bound jobs, MOSIX will play nicely.

You can try mixing distcc with various cluster aware filesystem to reduce network "storm". OCFS, GFS, PVFS....and friends. Not sure if distcc needs shared filesystem though.

regards,

Mulyadi.

Darmawan Salihun said...

Thanks for the hints and compliment.